- International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)
- 30 Nov 2021
- Yabelo, Borena, Oromia, Ethiopia
- Fully Remote
- Sustainable Livestock Systems Program (SLS)
The Position: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a consultant to help manage and support implementation of various data collection exercises and stakeholder engagements in Borana Zone of Ethiopia.
General: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe, and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centers dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org.
This assignment is part of the expanding agenda of the Drylands Innovation team around livestock insurance and collecting high frequency information.
The consultant will support two projects:
- First, manages and maintains a team of contributors that collect weekly data from a set of households, rangelands, and livestock markets using a micro-tasking platform.
- The second project is a randomized control trial that aims to improve the benefits of the Index-Based Livestock Insurance product, sold by Oromia Insurance Company (OIC) in the Borena Zone. a consultant will assist and monitor research implementation of the project.
- Bachelor’s degree in sociology, social work, development studies or related field
- At least 3 years of relevant work experiences
- Proven community engagement experience and knowledge on pastoral production system is an asset
- Working knowledge of the Index Based Livestock Insurance product is an advantage.
- Fluency in written and spoken English in addition to Afan Oromo
Duty Station: Yabello, Borana with expected places of travel to East Hararge, South Omo and Addis Ababa
Terms of appointment: This is a consultancy position; initial appointment is for six months.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. In addition to submitting CVs, applicants should indicate on their cover letters their availability between 2nd January to 30th June 2022, languages they master and their proposed monthly rate.
The position and reference number: REF: C-I/31/21 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 30 November 2021.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.