Job Title: Human Resources Officer
Since the 1970’s the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) has been engaged in critical global health initiatives around the world. In September 2009, the Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC) was formed as a nonprofit affiliate of UMB to help support the implementation of UMB international programs. UMB through MGIC, currently has offices in Botswana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Zambia. MGIC’s administrative operations support the research and clinical programs of the School of Medicine, Institute of Human Virology (IHV) and Center for International Health, Education & Biosecurity (Ciheb) and other UMB entities.
MGIC supports the Government of Kenya in expanding HIV service capacity and surveillance through a host of initiatives funded under the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
The Human Resource Officer will develop, coordinate and implement policies and programmes relating to the effective use of personnel within MGIC. Formulate practices that drive an employee-oriented, high performance culture emphasizing empowerment, quality, productivity and goal attainment.
Roles and Responsibilities
- To support recruitment related activities. This involves; advising on job descriptions, ensuring that all recruitment, selection and assessment materials and tools are clear, relevant and appropriate; providing support on designing the selection process and participating in the interview process
- Coordinate induction of new staff;
- Manage employee records and carry out HR administrative tasks such as time sheet and leave management;
- Develop, coordinate and improve performance management systems;
- Implement MGIC’s HR Strategy;
- Oversee the monthly payroll administration for project staffs and partner sub award staffs;
- Manage the staff benefits;
- Advise the organization on HR best practices and ensure compliance to the country labour laws and the organization’s HR policies;
- Liaise with supervisors to identify and assess employee training needs and development;
- Manage compensation and administration of employee payroll and benefits;
- Responsible for ensuring employee safety, welfare, wellness and health including ensuring fire alarms and emergency exits are operational;
- Coordinate staff welfare and Corporate Social Responsibility projects;
- Provide counselling when necessary and handle all employee grievances;
- Act as the key liaison for Insurance Companies providing services to MGIC ;
- Maintain departmental filing system and records;
- Assist in updating employee records;
- Assist in preparation of HR reports data and correspondence;
- Assist in coordinating performance appraisal process;
- Assist in administration of employee benefit programmes (medical, gratuity, insurances, pension and group life);
- Ensure all administrative matters related to staff are dealt with in accordance with laid down policies; and
- Respond to general HR enquiries from internal and external persons.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management, Business Administration, Sociology or related field
- 5 years’ experience working in a busy human resources department preferably in an NGO setting
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills with ability to efficiently take up multiple tasks under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Good communication skills, written and verbal, in English and Kiswahili languages.
- Must be a self-motivated and reliable person who can work with minimal supervision.
- Fluent in English.