Job Title: Country Director Burundi*
The position is to be filled by February 1, 2022, with an initial contract duration of two years. Employment location will be Bujumbura, Burundi.
As Country Director in Burundi you are responsible for managing the impact oriented Welthungerhilfe (WHH) country program. In doing so you take into consideration the overall WHH strategy and mandate and ensure adherence to WHH quality standards. In addition, you will be responsible for a sound financial management of the allocated funds as well as for the acquisition of additional funding. This will require a professional and experienced approach towards structures and processes, strategic programming and human resources management. As teamleader of the national and expatriate staff members, you are expected to take over responsibility for security management to assure the safety and security of your employees.
- Overall responsibility for the development and implementation of the country strategy in Burundi
- Representing Welthungerhilfe and coordinating programme activities with local decision-makers, partner organizations and other aid agencies and development organizations operating in the country
- Ensuring efficient and reliable structures and processes that reflect decentralization, and which allow to facilitate, coordinate and improve project implementation
- Ensuring proper planning of financial, asset and human resources as well as regular reporting to the Regional Directorate and the co-financiers
- Preparing planning documents for project follow-up phases and for new projects in the country
- Acquiring donor funds on location and international coordination with the Head Office
- Maintaining and expanding cooperation with national and international partners
- Taking responsibility for national and international project staff, and in particular responsibility for compliance with local security regulations
- Elaborating and ensuring a preparedness plan for disasters and potential crises on the basis of the country specific situation
- Observing, analyzing and reporting on relevant trends in the programme country and the neighboring areas
- Regular exchange of information with the Head Office in Bonn and other Country Offices
- A university or polytechnic degree in a relevant field like international development, international management, rural development, agricultural sciences or a comparable level of qualification
- At least 10 years of project management experience and relevant leadership experience in international humanitarian aid and development cooperation, preferably in the region
- Sound experience in security/crisis management and working with partner organizations
- Relevant knowledge of German, European, American and UN donor environment
- Coordination and organisational skills – even under a high workload
- Excellent HR Management skills and ability to work in a multinational team
- Excellent communication skills and intercultural sensibility
- A very good command of French and English, both spoken and written, proficiency in German language would be an advantage
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale. In addition, Welthungerhilfe offers numerous other benefits, which are listed under “Our benefits”.
*Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.
How to apply:
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by December 12, 2021 by following this link. Your contact person is Ina Stepka. Welthungerhilfe is committed to fighting terrorism in all its activities. Accordingly, any applicant who is offered employment will be screened against lists of known and suspected terrorists.