Job Title: Communications Senior Associate
Title: Communications Senior Associate
Duty station: Tirana
Section/ Unit: ECR, AUMCO, Tirana Albania
Contract/ Level: LICA 7/ ICS 7
Supervisor: Country Manager \ Communication specialist
- Background Information – Job Specific
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations. With over 6,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
The Austria Multi-Country Office (AUMCO) was set up in August 2019 as a part of the UNOPS Europe & Central Asia Region (ECR). Specifically, AUMCO aims to enable achievement of Agenda 2030 and the Paris Agreement through global programmes and tailored interventions in the Balkans, South Caucasus, and Central Asia, focused on:
● Project Management (full service, back on track)
● HR and Transactional Services
● Grant Management
● Technical and Advisory Services
UNOPS, through ECR AUMCO, is partnering with the Government of Albania and the European Union, as well as with the UN system, to facilitate the post-earthquake rehabilitation and reconstruction of a large number of key cultural heritage sites, museums, and cultural hubs and to promote tourism and economic development of the sites.
On 26 November 2019, Albania was hit by its most deadly earthquake in a century. The earthquake measured 6.4 on the Richter scale and caused significant casualties and property damage, resulting in 51 deaths, over 1000 injured, and nearly 14,000 people displaced. To measure and assess the economic damage, a Post Disaster Needs Assessment (PDNA) was conducted, estimating the total economic losses at nearly EUR 1Billion.
The PDNA documented the destruction of public and private infrastructure. Of particular concern was the destruction of cultural heritage monuments and property, as 53 cultural heritage properties were significantly damaged by the earthquake. This project seeks to remediate the effect of the earthquake on Albania’s cultural heritage through the rehabilitation of monuments, as well as contribute to Albania’s socio-economic recovery through the construction and upgrade of these sites. It will be important also to support improvements in the capacity of institutions responsible for the management of these cultural monuments and sites to better accommodate tourism. A final outcome of the project is the effective communication of project results to the wider public and developing and implementing an advocacy platform resulting in better recognition of the important role of culture in the social and economic well-being of Albanian citizens.**
Under the direct supervision of the Country Director, the Communication and Media Associate will carry out the following duties, in full compliance with UNOPS rules, regulations and policies to support Communications Unit for Albania Office within UNOPS key focus and service areas:**
● Implement and update the Project Communication Strategy and visibility guidelines
● Support the organisation and promotion of communication and visibility events, in coordination with donors and partner organisations
● Support the production of promotional material in line with the visibility guidelines
● Develop and maintain a database of Albania Office partners and the international community.
● Coordinate inputs from different units, donors, and partners and produce consolidated reports, presentations, and other written documents for internal and external use.
● Liaise with the HQ Comms team and UN Communication Group and participate in relevant meetings.
● Support the development and facilitation of in-house communication training for Albania Office personnel and partners.
● Keep up-to-date Albania Office’s communication plans and stakeholders mapping.
● Develop and maintain web content for relevant UNOPS Intra-/internet pages and social media.
● Contribute to the elaboration of periodic internal newsletters.
● Develop and maintain a database of local journalists/press contacts.
● Supports media relations and the collection of information in response to media requests
● Support the production of information materials and the publication of articles to be published in relevant media
● Co-organize media facilitation for donor visits and field visits.
● Produce and keep up-to-date communication materials and a photo library with project photos.
● Contribute to communication outputs to share information about Albania Office projects and results achieved, in liaison with relevant project and communication teams.
● Suggest/write stories and topics from the work of Albania Office and its partners for publication in local and other appropriate media.
● Share publication, information and knowledge with colleagues, clients and partners.
● Prepare communication materials as required for events, mission travel and/or discussion with partners.
● Identify and collect communication KPIs to monitor and evaluate communication performance
● Participate in relevant UN Working Groups or coordination mechanisms and provide necessary UNOPS inputs
Other duties: **
● Support the participation and/or representation of the Country Manager at events and technical meetings as required.
● Participate in meetings with donors and partners and produce high-quality meeting minutes and action-oriented summaries.
● When needed, join Country Manager monitoring visits or donor field visits of UNOPS projects.
● Other duties as may be assigned
● A secondary school diploma is required.
● A Bachelor’s degree or higher in communications, journalism media relations or relevant discipline is desirable.
● Certification in communications, monitoring, and reporting is desirable.
b. Work Experience
● Seven years of relevant experience in communications, media relations in combination with a secondary school diploma is required. Bachelor’s degree or higher may substitute for years of experience.
● Experience in working with the international aid development sector, including the UN system, international NGOs and International Donors, or EU-funded projects is an asset.
● Previous UNOPS experience is desirable.
● Fluency in English and Albanian is required.
d. Core Competencies
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. Acts as a positive leadership role model motivates, directs, and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understand that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast-paced environment. Effectively adapts their own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluate data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise, and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.