Job Title: Regional Food Security and Livelihoods Advisor (m(f/d) (MENA)
arche noVa e.V. – Initiative for People in Need is an independent non-profit and non-governmental organisation (NGO) from Dresden/Germany working primarily in the field of humanitarian aid, rehabilitation and development. Our main focus is on water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH).
arche noVa is implementing projects for IDPs and host communities in Syria, Lebabon and Iraq. For the support of arche noVa’s humanitarian aid projects and transitional assistance in North Syria in the fields of education, livelihood, food security and WASH, we are looking for a
Regional Food Security and Livelihoods Advisor (m(f/d) (MENA)
The Food Security and Livelihoods Advisor supports the development and implementation of project components food security and livelihoods for arche noVa’s Country Office for Iraq, Syria and the Lebanon and contributes to the development of the regional strategy. The position is based in Erbil (Iraq).
Technical Support (60%)
- Provide technical support to ongoing food security and livelihoods programs as assigned and agreed with Country Office Senior Management.
- Provide technical support to Country Offices to establish new food security and livelihoods components in programs.
- Develop training concepts for the targeted groups in line with the respective project proposals
- Linking FSL measures with local knowledge hubs as well as with private sector capacity facilitators to maximize synergies for sustainable results
- Develop technical guidelines and tools as required to facilitate technically sound implementation.
- Support and supervise food security and livelihoods assessments, technical partner assessments and partner capacity building in FSL together with the country project teams
- Support the development of cash/voucher-related components and innovative approaches and provide direction and support to the design, testing, and evaluation of such innovations to advance food security and livelihoods programming
- Collecting and disseminating relevant information of technical developments in the food security and livelihoods field to Country Office project teams and partners.
- Conduct field visits, training and orientation for CO (program department) staff to ensure capacity building, general knowledge dissemination and streamlining best practices appropriate for each country context
- Propose strategic networking opportunities for Country Offices and contribute to long-term country strategies with regards to field of expertise and in close collaboration with the respective Head of Mission
- Contribute to the development of food security and livelihoods related strategies, manuals, procedure, templates and checklists of arche noVa
- If required and upon request, represent AN on technical and coordination working groups in an area of expertise
Proposal and Programme Development (20%)
- Technical lead on developing food security and livelihoods components in proposals, including information gathering, program design facilitation and technical writing in close collaboration with HoM and HQ
- Travel to the field to participate in design workshops, assessments, team writing assignments, and other proposal processes.
- Support Country Office team members in analyzing information and formulating effective technical strategies, integrating best practices and, where appropriate, innovations.
- Lead the design of specific FSL studies such as labor market-related assessments, private sector engagement
- Co-lead FSL component reviews and (internal) evaluations, ensuring that lessons learned are incorporated into subsequent amendments and follow-up projects
- Support the development of the objectives and ToR as well as lead the review process for specific livelihoods research or evaluations
Knowledge Management and Learning (20%)
- Lead or participate in the design of learning studies and the documentation and presentation of the same.
- Contribute to an evidence base for effective food security and livelihoods implementation modalities.
- Creation of visibility and outreach material such as factsheets, case studies, specific assessments or briefs and support their dissemination.
- Develop and lead inner-regional Country Office knowledge exchange formats and disseminate knowledge resources through knowledge management platform
- Ensure knowledge management and learning resources are known and utilized
- Relevant degree in a specific field of study (Agricultural sciences, Horticulture, Forestry, TVET) or relevant degree with a proven track record in Food Security & Livelihoods programming
- At least 5 years of practical experience as a technical expert or lead on specific development cooperation/humanitarian aid FSL programmes
- Excellent writing abilities for drafting policies, guidelines or technical briefs and experience in proposal writing for FSL projects for multiple donors
- Excellent verbal communication skills to consult multiple teams and ability to conduct technical trainings
- Strong analytic skills and ability to prioritize tasks
- Solid professional experiences in the region
- Motivated, proactive team member with high frustration tolerance and pro-active working attitude
- Willingness to travel frequently to field locations
Nice to have:
- Experiences in scientific publications
- Experiences of working with German donors
- Knowledge skills in Arabic, Kurdish and German
- Competitive salary according to internal salary scale, including per diems based on country context
- Accommodation and abroad package
- Hardship Allowance on quarterly basis
- Opportunity to implement your own ideas and to bring in experiences
- Working with a highly motivated team dedicated to improving the lives of people in need
- Possibilities for further personal and professional development
- Possibility to balance work and life through flexible working hours
People with a migration background and people with disabilities are given preferential treatment if they are of the same suitability and ability. arche noVa e.V. promotes equality and a non-discriminatory environment.
arche noVa is committed to creating an inclusive working environment, promoting and providing equal opportunities in employment.
Pre-employment Checks: Any employment with AN will be subject to the following checks prior to your start date:
- receipt of satisfactory references
- proof of eligibility to work in the national location for this position
How to apply:
Deadline for application: 31.12.2021
Please send your application documents (cover letter, motivation, CV, supporting documents and references) as well as your salary expectations in one document to Ms. Richter: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please describe your motivation of working for arche noVa as Regional Food security and Livelihoods Advisor and tell us your salary expectations.
Subject: Regional FSL Advisor (MENA)