Job Title: Project Management Support – Specialist
1. General Background
UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
New York Service Cluster (NYSC) supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.
Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. It was formed by combining the following portfolios: Grants Management Services (GMS), UN Technology Support Services (UNTSS), Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio (DSIP) It provides Services to partners’ programmes that are designed, structured, and managed with a global perspective and primarily serving partners that are headquartered in New York. The SDC has a footprint of approximately 125 countries.
The United Nations Department of Operational Support, Office of Supply Chain Management, Logistics Division (UN DOS/OSCM/LD) is responsible for implementing an ‘end-to-end’ integrated Supply Chain Management in support of the Departments of Peacekeeping Operations and Operational Support (DPO/DOS) missions as well as Special Political Missions (SPMs). UNOPS has been requested to assist in the implementation of this activity for DOS/OSCM/LD
Since January 2017, a project team, known as the DOS Umoja Coordination Service (UCS), is responsible for deploying multiple project streams to peacekeeping and special political missions. UCS plays an integral role in the global operations of the field missions. It provides the fundamental infrastructure components that support the substantive work and the delivery of peacekeeping and special political missions’ mandates.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Manager, the Project Management Support – Specialist will perform the following duties:
● Establish solid working relationship with the project board, client, and key stakeholders.
● Manage communications and ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress, exceptions and are able to accept handover products.
● Advise the client on issues that may impact the achievement of their outcomes (including issues of sustainability and post project requirements such as maintenance).
● Manage the information flow between all project stakeholders.
● Develop and maintain project plans.
● Implement approved project plans (including the establishment of milestones) within tolerances set by the Project Board.
● Embed sustainable dimensions of social and gender inclusion, environmental and economic aspects into project life cycle.
● Manage the production of required products, reports, project documents, taking responsibility for overall progress and use of resources and initiating corrective action where necessary.
● Liaise with clients and managers as needed.
● Advise stakeholders and senior leadership of any deviations from the plan.
● Identify and manage risks so that maximum benefit to the client and stakeholders is achieved.
● Manage and review quality of work and related products.
● Monitor and evaluate performance of project team members.
● Identify and report potential business opportunities for UNOPS to supervisor.
● Identify and report threats to UNOPS internal business case to supervisor.
● Prepare and track the project timelines for the project, tracking delivery against project
milestones, raising any change requests to necessary authorities.
● Monitor the reporting requirement of projects in the portfolio to the client, review and
help to finalize project reports, and submit reports on time;
● Organize and collate team contributions for the delivery of regular reports to stakeholders, partners and supervisor.
● Input and update of accurate data and information to facilitate monitoring and evaluation
of project activities for the Programme Manager.
● Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
3. Monitoring and Progress Controls
● Performance evaluation review and feedback from client representative and UNOPS supervisor.
4. Qualifications and Experience
● Advanced University Degree (Master’s degree) or equivalent preferably in Business Administration, Project Management, Social Science, Management or related field.
● A first level university degree with 2 additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the Advanced Degree.
b. Work Experience and skills
● Minimum of five (5) years of experience in Programme and/or Project Management is required.
● Experience working with SAP/ERP systems is desirable.
● Experience in report writing or/and performing research is desirable.
● Experience working in a fast-paced environment that requires high flexibility is desirable.
● Good problem-solving skills, ability to work productively and self-motivate.
● Attention to details, ability to multi-task and excellent communication skills.
● Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Fluency in additional official UN languages is desirable.
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast-paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behaviour. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
How to apply:
To apply, click on the following link https://jobs.unops.org/
Search jobs under vacancies