Position Title : Information Technology Officer
Duty Station : Kabul, Afghanistan
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 30 November 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of Chief of Mission (CoM), direct supervision of the Senior Resource Management Officer (SRMO) of IOM Afghanistan and in close coordination with relevant staff from Information Technology (IT) counterparts in the Manila Administrative Centre (MAC), the successful candidate will provide the necessary Information Technology and Communications (ITC) support to the Country Office (CO).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Supervise and coordinate the activities of the ITC unit in Afghanistan, ensuring that all requests are addressed timely and accurately with efficient allocation of resources. Assist in budgeting and allocating IT resources for the CO.
- Schedule and implement systems upgrades and IT infrastructure changes in line with the IOM ITC Standards and in close coordination with ITC Service Centre in Manila. Install systems, network components, and software. Suggest solutions to local technical constraints.
- Secure the implementation of IOM ITC Standards, policies, and guidelines, in particular, the implementation of network systems, IT security, software licensing, telecoms, and ITC procurement. Bring issues of non-compliance to the immediate attention of the supervisor.
- Monitor the CO-critical applications on a daily basis such as the Migrant Management Operational Systems Application and the SAP-based Processes and Resources Integrated Systems Management. Liaise effectively with technical counterparts for the proper functioning and availability of those systems. Assist with end-user training when required.
- Ensure the required performance and stability of network services and servers (LAN, WAN, messaging, Internet and VSATs connectivity, VPN, etc.), to prevent and minimize downtime or service interruptions;
- Ensure daily monitoring and adequate completion of server backups.
- Develop and implement, when necessary, ITC training to all end users to ensure productive use of the IT and telecommunications resources.
- Provide remote technical support to all IOM Afghanistan offices. Conduct on-site visits when necessary.
- Maintain the office’s ITC inventory for hardware and software (safeguarding media and licenses), including regular updates to the technical documentation of IT networks.
- Liaise with ITC service providers and vendors for the adequate provision of supplies and services.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Management, Information Technology or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Certificate in any of the following: Cisco Certified Network Associates (CCNA), Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) (Windows/Exchange Server), Microsoft Certified System Administrator (MCSA), Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA), Microsoft Certified System Engineer (MCSE), is a distinct advantage.
• Experience in the implementation and administration of Microsoft Windows network environment (LAN/WAN) and first-level network/desktop support;
• Experience working with an international organization or an international agency in a field location; supporting emergency, complex/post-conflict mission.
• Extensive knowledge of Windows, Instruction Set Architecture (ISA), Outlook Web Access (OWA), and Exchange Servers Administration in a multi-site environment, TCP/IP, Telecoms, Network Protocols, Cisco devices, VPN, VoIP, MS Office, Antivirus Software and utilities.
• Knowledge and demonstrated experience of database information systems and data processing tools.
• Knowledge of web-based development, geographical information systems and/or mapping tools would be a distinctive advantage.
• Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision and demonstrate high level of initiative, perseverance and professional commitment to achieve high-quality results.
• Demonstrated ability to handle confidential data in a professional, responsible and mature manner.
• Demonstrated ability to coach individuals, to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues within a team from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge French, Spanish, Dari and/or Pashto is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 30 November 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 17.11.2021 to 30.11.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2021 277 Information Technology Officer (P2) Kabul, Afghanistan (57269785) Released
Posting: Posting NC57269786 (57269786) Released
Page 5 I 5