Finance Specialist Vacancy at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
GIZ-Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #191/2021
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development-policy objectives.
In Ethiopia, GIZ has been working for more than 40 years in bilateral cooperation on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and on commission of the Ethiopian government and international donors.
To strengthen agricultural productivity and production and to modernize agriculture in Ethiopia, the Ministry of Agriculture is pursuing strategies for nationwide land use certification and land consolidation. The widespread fragmentation of agricultural land is a major challenge for a more productive agricultural sector. However, legal and social framework conditions for the fair and participatory reorganization of the agricultural area are limited. The responsible regional authorities also lack the required capacities and expertise to implement land consolidation procedures. The population is skeptical towards the government’s reform intentions, mainly due to negative experiences and less participatory processes in the past.
Contract duration: Until December 31, 2022
Place of Work: Addis Ababa
In this context, the TC project pursues the objective of creating sound conditions for the implementation of participatory land consolidation procedures. As such, the framework conditions for increased agricultural productivity are improved, and thus contribute to improving the living conditions of smallholders as well as to economic development in the concerned rural areas. Hence, the target group is the rural population in the selected project areas, and landowners whose agricultural productivity is impaired by the fragmentation of their land.
Activities will be carried out in the following intervention areas:
- Strengthening the competencies of staff of relevant national and regional authorities and civil society organizations
- Development and piloting of participatory procedures and guidelines with Ethiopian authorities/organizations
- Support in the development of legal frameworks to ensure a constitutional approach to land consolidation.
In selected pilot areas, sensitization and communication measures for the local population will be carried out in coordination with other TC projects and support will be provided for the training of land consolidation committees (LCC) as well as for voluntary parcel swaps. The project’s implementing partner is the Rural Land Administration and Use Directorate in the Ministry of Agriculture.
The Finance specialist will report to and be supervised by the Senior Finance Manager.
- Processing and dealing with financial process (WINPACCS, Cashbook, TAX and WHT…)
- Managing other Finance tasks
- Filing documents in reference files or in DMS in line with GIZ’s filing rules
- Procuring and managing procurement
- Is responsible for administrative aspects of financial management, e.g., bank withdrawals, direct debit orders
Other duties/additional tasks
The Finance specialist:
- Reports without delay to the persons responsible for office administration and accounting on all problems in financial administration and compliance with rules
- Is responsible for filing administration documents and treating information confidentially
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
- BA/MSs in Finance, Business Administration, or related area
- Fluent command of the English and Amharic language,
- Computer literacy (MS package, and internet-based research)
- Ability to cope with stress and to organize/prioritize workload timely
- Discipline and punctuality.
- Resilience and patience.
- Availability for in-country duty travel to project sites
- At least 5 years’ work experience in a comparable position.
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
How To Apply:
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Ethiojobs or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Number ‘Finance specialist #191/2021’ in the subject line of your email application.